49ers Draft Panel: Who is a Second-round WR You Like at Pick No. 36?

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
tpyglju8l98hpq6huudm

The 2019 San Francisco 49ers Draft Panel rolls on with Part 3 of the five part series.

We spent Monday and Tuesday dissecting possible scenarios for what the San Francisco 49ers might do with the No. 2 overall pick. Now we'll turn our attention to the second round. While the 49ers first pick is likely to be spent on a defensive player, there's a strong belief that the team will use their second-round selection (No. 36) on an offensive skill player.

San Francisco likes its depth at wide receiver with guys like Dante Pettis, Marquise Goodwin, Kendrick Bourne, Trent Taylor, Jordan Matthews and others, but there's always room for improvement. The 49ers could cash in on a deep group of wideouts in this year's draft class.

So the third question for our panel is this: Who is a second-round wide receiver you like at Pick No. 36?

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report:

I want it to be Arizona State’s N’Keal Harry. I think it’s going to be Deebo Samuel from South Carolina. I think Deebo fits really well with what Kyle Shanahan does offensively. He’s not the tallest guy, but he’s very thickly built. He has great agility and acceleration. His yards after the catch are tremendous. What he can do underneath is really exciting. If some way N’Keal Harry is there, that would be my guy, but I think Deebo Samuel is a really nice consolation prize I guess.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic:

Ole Miss' DK Metcalf is a freaky talent, but his college teammate, A.J. Brown, is the more polished receiver at this point in their development. He is a natural route runner and pass-catcher with outstanding college production (school-record 2,984 receiving yards). Most of his production came in the slot and his tape doesn't have a large sample size of downfield targets, but his athletic profile and skill-set suggests he should have no problem expanding his route tree in the NFL.

Charles Davis, NFL Network:

It will be interesting to see if Ohio State’s Parris Campbell is still there because there’s some momentum for him going in the late first round. If somehow he slips to the second, people might be making a move on him pretty fast. I also think that Ole Miss’ A.J. Brown, Arizona State’s N’Keal Harry and, depending on your flavor, Iowa State’s Hakeem Butler could be interesting there. If you’re sitting there at No. 36, I think those are all guys who are in the conversation. I’d also throw in Riley Ridley from Georgia.

Matt Bowen, ESPN:

I’ll give you two – A.J. Brown out of Ole Miss and Parris Campbell from Ohio State. And maybe Brown is already off the board at No. 36, but his combination of size at 6-foot, 226 pounds and 4.49 speed, plus the route running traits, would give the 49ers a big target in the slot. Think middle of the field throws for quarterback Jimmy Garpoppolo here, with Brown displaying the toughness to make contested catches along with the production he can provide in the open field. Physical player on tape. Now, with Campbell, we are looking at legit speed. He dropped a 4.31 40 at the combine. That’s moving. Campbell can threaten the defense underneath or over the top and the speed is a weapon. This guy will erase angles after the catch, while also being utilized on jet sweeps, bubbles, etc. Kyle Shanahan could draw up some concepts to get the ball in Campbell’s hands.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network:

To me, you’ve really got three guys that I would keep an eye on: Arizona State’s N’Keal Harry, Ole Miss’ A.J. Brown and South Carolina’s Deebo Samuel. All three, I think, would be great picks – especially with a guy like Harry because he gives you so much size at 6-foot-2, 228 pounds. He would compliment the 49ers speed in Dante Pettis and Marquise Goodwin. I think that would be a good fit.

Trevor Sikkema, The Draft Network:

I think there is a chance A.J. Brown form Ole Miss could be there, who would fit well with what Kyle Shanahan likes to do mixing receivers inside and out, but if he's not then a guy like Deebo Samuel from South Carolina could fill a similar role and would have a higher chance of being available there. If they're looking for an outside receiver, I still like N.C. State's Kelvin Harmon a lot. His Combined showed he likely won't be a round one guy, but his tape is littered with big time plays with strength in the air as his calling card.

Check back on Thursday for Part 4 of the 49ers draft panel.