7 Observations: Vikings Hold Spirited Night Practice in Front of Capacity Crowd

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
smew5wck5zvehxqmpw9j

Here are three observations from Saturday night’s session:

1. Captain Kirk comes up clutch

Kirk Cousins led a game-winning touchdown drive against one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Down 17-13 with just over six minutes left, Cousins and the Vikings offense engineered a 14-play, 73-yard scoring drive that ended with a 5-yard touchdown catch by Brandon Zylstra. That play, and the ensuing extra point, gave the offense a 20-17 advantage.

Cousins was 4-for-4 on third downs on the sequence, finding Chad Beebe twice and Stefon Diggs once to move the chains. The fourth completion was to Zylstra, who peeled back and dove to haul in the touchdown at the front pylon.

“There was a lot of traffic coming my way. I saw Kirk scrambling so I went into a scramble-mode drill and kind of worked my way back. We were on the same page,” said Zylstra who began training camp on the PUP list but returned to practice Monday. “Every day I come out here, I just feel more confident coming off an injury.

“That’s really what I’m working for right now … just getting to where I was in OTAs because I felt great then,” Zylstra added. “I’m just getting the game to slow down again.”

The final drive capped off a spirited session between the Vikings offense and defense, as the competitive juices were flowing for much of the night.

“As you can see, both teams were competing their tail off,” Zylstra said. “It’s nice for us to come out on top, but ultimately we both got great work.”

Sean Mannion took over the second-team offense with just over 90 seconds left but couldn’t put together a scoring drive.

2. Bombs away

Vikings Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski wasted no time opening up the playbook Saturday night, as his unit unleashed plenty of big plays early.

Cousins hit Adam Thielen for a spectacular 56-yard connection on the first play of team drills, and the quarterback later found Diggs for 40 yards.