A brief look at Denver's Day 3 picks and what they bring to the Broncos

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
snqgw8l8soklj4yhhddv

Guard Netane Muti, Fresno State

Round 6, Pick 181

Muti, a native Tongan, received a third-round grade from the Broncos and would've come off the board on Day 2 if not for his injuries.

Unfortunately, the 6-foot-3, 315-pound offensive lineman has played in just five games over the last two seasons because of Achilles and Lisfranc injuries, respectively. He also suffered an Achilles injury in 2016.

The Broncos, though, seem comfortable with the risk they took in the sixth round.

"He was a very good football player, number one," Elway said. "There were a lot of people who had third-round grades on [him], as well as we did, and so we knew that [he was] sitting there, staring at us at the top of the sixth round. We talked to [Director of Sports Medicine] Steve ['Greek'] Antonopulos and talked about his history. We had talked about it before, but we reviewed it again today and he's had two of the Achilles and then he had the Lisfranc. 'Greek' seemed to think that the Achilles usually are stronger after you have surgery, so he was not concerned about that. And the Lisfranc — he was doing well in his recovery there. We just felt that where we were sitting and the grade that we had on him, we felt that we were going to be taking a little bit of a risk with the medical, but really felt at the top of the sixth round, we were getting tremendous value and it was worth the risk to be able to go ahead and take a chance on him."

Muti, who earned honorable mention All-Mountain West honors during his lone season as a starter, happened upon football by chance in high school. He was in the marching band — playing the snare drum — when he decide to try out for the JV football team.

He took to it well, as he started all 14 games at guard for Fresno State in 2017.

"I think I'm the best guard in this class," Muti said. "I feel like they really got a steal. I'm just excited. I'm ready to give Broncos [fans] my all and go out there, learn from the older guys in the O-line room and just be a part of the family and just win games. I'm just excited."

For more on Muti, click here.