A play away: Will Grier knows his number may be called any moment

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
rqtycn2eihocmdozvugj

One of the biggest changes Grier has noticed since taking a backseat is actually having time to reflect on his own development.

“As a starter it’s just always next week, next week,” Grier said. “I think there’s a lot more time as a backup to kind of look inward and see where you can get better. It’s been an interesting adjustment, but I’ve enjoyed it so far.”

Grier’s not the only one who’s noticed his growth, though.

“Will’s been outstanding. He’s preparing every week like he’s going to play,” quarterbacks coach Scott Turner said. “Obviously, he’s got to be ready, he’s one play away from going in and having to play. I think if something God forbid ever happened, then he’d be ready to go and play well.”

Head coach Ron Rivera has kept a close eye on his No. 2 quarterback’s development, too.

“It’s been really cool to watch Will,” Rivera said. “It’s funny because he does a lot of the show team stuff for us, and a lot of times the coaches have a tendency to circle where they want the ball thrown.”

But as Rivera has seen Grier become more accustomed to NFL-style football, he’s loosened the reins on the scout team quarterback, letting him decide on his own which routes to throw.

“I told Will, ‘Don’t do that. That’s the worst thing you can do, because now you’re no longer reading, you’re just anticipating when to throw it,’” Rivera said. “I said, ‘I want you to go out there and try and beat us,’ and he’s done a great job.”

Other than Grier’s increased workload on scout team during his shift from third-string to second-string quarterback, he’s done his best to keep the rest of his preparation the same. For a rookie who wasn’t even made active until the Panthers’ third game of the season, it might seem hard to keep the same mindset knowing he’s now just a helmet malfunction or a twisted ankle away from going in.

Not for Grier.