Aaron Rodgers appreciative of Billy Turner's unsung heroics for Packers

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
a7edoc6kxggi6prwh8xy

The Packers' offensive line has been in constant state of flux for most of the year, with Taylor landing on season-ending IR back in September after tearing his ACL in the opener at Minnesota.

Yet, the Packers still led the NFL in scoring (31.8 points per game) behind the most efficient red-zone offense in the last four years (80%). Rodgers, a favorite to win his third MVP award in two weeks' time, was sacked just 21 times, his fewest in a 16-game regular season.

Turner has been a big reason for Rodgers' uniform staying so clean this season. While Turner isn't as burly as most NFL offensive linemen, his athleticism seems to be what separates him from others at his position…or positions.

"I've always felt Billy's best position was tackle, in general," offensive line coach Adam Stenavich said. "When we could move him out there, I felt better having him out there. Him going to left tackle, he's played a lot of different positions over his career. … He's a pretty reliable guy in general.

"If he can get his mind right that week for whatever position he's going to play, I feel really good about him out there doing his thing and being productive."

As he's had more time to settle in at left tackle, Turner has only gotten better. He and the offensive line kept Rodgers clean last Saturday against the Los Angeles Rams, enabling the Packers to put up 484 total yards and 32 points on the NFL's top-ranked defense.

One win away from the franchise's first Super Bowl appearance in a decade, the Packers know they'll have their hands full against Tampa Bay and Pro Bowl pass rusher Jason Pierre-Paul this Sunday.