Action Reaction: 'Longest' Yards Loom Large for Vikings on 4th Downs

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
o22kjwxc7mmn76cwema2

Postgame reaction:

"I didn't talk to them, really. I was just going off what our experience had been this season with Harrison Smith and kind of what I had seen [be called] all season. So I was assuming that, 'Hey, from what I've seen all year, that's a penalty in our other games.' But we didn't get the call."

— Cousins on the hit that ended his scramble to cause the first fourth-and-1

"The thought because it was third-and-1 was, 'Let's just get the first down and not get to fourth down, so we jumped into a run play there. We were in our 2-minute mode, thinking, 'Throwing the ball,' and then because of the situation being third-and-short, we jumped back into a run, and they lined up in a front where they had, really six defensive linemen on the line of scrimmage and it was certainly a loaded box, a tough front to block. [We were] just trying to get lined up and get the ball snapped before the 2-minute [warning] so we didn't lose the opportunity to run a play. Again, the outcome of that one was just not what we wanted."

— Cousins on the Vikings approach at the 2-minute warning

"It was a bootleg. Wanting to sell the outside zone left, and we had the bootleg right. But we had the defensive end there kind of in a bind where he has to either play me or play our slide route, but it was the next player inside the tackle that was able to play up the field. I had to sink with a lot of depth to run away from him. In hindsight, talking about the plays you agonize over."

— Cousins on the fourth-and-1 play in the fourth quarter