After a 'bad' year as a backup, Will Grier feeling more ready in the role

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
y2pmfj495zfagfxrqloj

Head coach Matt Rhule has liked what he's seen out of Grier in camp. Rhule has mentioned that after coaching against Grier in college, he realized the quarterback has an "it" factor. That leads the head coach to believe Grier is capable of winning games at the highest level.

"I've liked his level of maturity. I've liked his work ethic. And most importantly, I've liked his ability to take responsibility when things go wrong," Rhule said. "I think Will has really grown in that phase where he takes responsibility for everything that he does, which allows him to get better.

"Where is he going to be in three weeks? Where is he going to be in three months? I think he's going to be in a really good place if he continues to stay on this very focused, very diligent path that he's on."

Grier knows there is more work to be done as he enters his second season, but he feels good about where he is right now. And after last year's struggles, he's at least in better headspace as a backup.

"You have to be ready. You have to always be preparing like you're going to play," Grier said. "That's easier said than done, but I think that's part of the process and part of my job here."