After year away, Cole Madison feeling at home on Packers’ offensive line

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
dazjk97zxvs6nljvbsyj

A four-year starting right tackle at Washington State, Madison was thrown into the fire this spring when Stenavich told him he was going to line up at center one day during OTAs.

“He’s like, ‘You good?’ I was like, “Yeah, let’s do it. Let’s ride,’” Madison said. “I went on the fly and it shows they trust me to play that. I take that to heart.”

When Madison isn’t cracking jokes, there’s a good chance he’s probably asking a question. He admits he feels “kind of bad” because asking starting center Corey Linsley about something related to the position “every five minutes,” it seems.

While it was news to Linsley that Madison hadn’t played center prior to his coming to Green Bay, the sixth-year veteran doesn’t mind getting peppered with questions from the 24-year-old.

Quite honestly, Linsley would be more annoyed if Madison didn’t show that type of assertiveness. He appreciates not only the commitment Madison has shown to his craft, but also the dedication to the group as a whole.

“He has been a great addition to the room,” Linsley said. “Cole has displayed nothing but a positive attitude since he’s been back. (He says) he’s asking me so many questions he feels like I’m getting sick of it. That’s because he wants to get better and he wants to know, and he wants to not make the same mistake twice.”

Madison was a groomsman at his sister’s wedding in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, on June 27, but otherwise was focused entirely on preparing for his first NFL training camp during his summer break. He ran, weight-lifted and did everything he could to know the new playbook.