Andy Reid proud to be with Bruce Arians in “Geritol crew” of older coaches

Captain Fear

Mar 20, 2019
NFL: NOV 29 Chiefs at Buccaneers

Getty Images

Some of the NFL’s oldest head coaches have also been among the most successful in recent years, and that includes 68-year-old Bruce Arians and 62-year-old Andy Reid, who will meet on Sunday at Super Bowl LV.

Reid joked that he and the other 60-something coaches (a list that also includes recent Super Bowl winners Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll) are part of what he called “the Geritol crew.”

“We are a little bit older and there is experience that comes with that and I guess you could say wisdom, with age. But there are a lot of good young football coaches that I look forward to seeing continue to grow in this business,” Reid said. “By chance a few of the older guys have gotten to this point. I’d probably attribute that to good players, and then a little bit of experience there. In my case I’m fortunate to have a heck of a staff that I’ve been fortunate to accumulate and gather here.”

With a combined age of 130, Reid and Arians are the oldest pair of coaches ever to meet in a Super Bowl, breaking a record that was set when Belichick and Carroll met at a combined age of 125.