Ask Aric: Javon Kinlaw, Kenneth Murray and Day 3 options

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
fma1g5qd5aoobrdgovwn

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — At long last, the 2020 NFL Draft is almost here.

In just a few days, we'll know if the Broncos are really trading up, if they're staying put or if they're prepared to move down in the first round.

For now, though, the uncertainty hasn't ended — and neither has the appetite for answers about what Thursday, Friday and Saturday could hold.

In this edition of "Ask Aric," I do my best to answer some of the biggest remaining questions.

Want to be featured in the next edition of "Ask Aric"?Click here to submit a question. In the meantime, _click here_* r follow @AricDiLalla _toask me a question before Thursday.

What are the chances Denver is smoke and mirrors about trading up for a wideout in a draft full of talent at the position? Is Denver actually looking to trade back? – Donnie G. (@1stRoundBust)

The short answer is nobody knows. If Denver has locked in on a wide receiver to complement Courtland Sutton, it wouldn't shock me to see them move up to No. 8 or No. 10, as has been reported. I think it's less likely they move up to take a tackle, just because I believe there are more pressing needs on the roster. I wouldn't rule out any of the three options — trading up, staying put or moving back. John Elway, though, has made five first-round trades during his nine seasons, two of which came in 2012. If I had to make a guess, I suspect the Broncos will stay put initially and then trade back when all three of the top receivers are off the board.

What do you think about getting Kenneth Murray? - @brayden_tillman

I love it, especially in a trade-back situation. If the Broncos could move from No. 15 to, say, No. 20 and grab Murray, I'd be over the moon. Murray has the athleticism to cover in space, and he was a second-team All-American in his final season for the Oklahoma Sooners. A two-time team captain, Murray would bring tremendous leadership to the locker room and has shown his durability, playing in 42-of-42 games over the last three seasons. He's also a tackling machine, as he averaged more than nine tackles per game over the last two seasons and recorded 28 tackles in a 2018 game vs. Army. He'd bring a new level of athleticism to the linebacking corps. LSU's Patrick Queen would also be a home run in the same scenario. Plus, if the Broncos picked up Murray while trading back, they could potentially grab another pick in the Top 50.

What would Broncos need to give up to trade for no. 3 pick with Lions? I would love to see Vic gets Isaiah Simmons. He would definitely solidify that defense. - Andy H. (@Waterboy888)

I, like most others, love Simmons and what he could bring to the Broncos' defense. This trade, though, is too pricy — especially since teams could be trying to trade up to get a quarterback. We'll go through the motions, though. Using the famed Jimmy Johnson draft points chart, the Broncos would need to equal or better 2,200 points. That means tossing in the 15th-overall pick (1,050 points), 46th-overall pick (440) points and likely their 2021 first-round pick. If the Broncos are a wild-card team in 2021 but don't win a playoff game, that would make their first-round pick worth somewhere between 740-875 points. There are other ways to get the deal done, but this example illustrates how expensive it could be.

I don't think this a very likely scenario, in part because I don't think Denver would need to get to No. 3 to get Simmons. It's quite possible that he's still on the board at No. 8. That would be a much more palatable trade, as it would cost far less draft capital. If he's there, several teams could call the Cardinals with interest in trading up. Of course, if the Broncos went all the way to No. 3, cornerback Jeff Okudah and tackle Jedrick Wills could also be there.