Ask Aric: What role will the Broncos' rookies play in Year 1?

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
wlc6e7qsfknfh3v24uq2

What role do you see the rookies playing [in Year 1]? — Blake E.

Let's go through the class:

WR Jerry Jeudy: Day 1 starter, will be the Broncos' No. 2 receiving option behind Courtland Sutton. I'd set the early bar at 650 receiving yards and four touchdowns. Anything over that should be considered a success.

WR KJ Hamler: Won't start every game, but he should have a role. I'd expect him to be somewhere in the 400-500 yard range and have a couple of touchdowns.

CB Michael Ojemudia: I'd expect he would initially play special teams and get limited defensive snaps. I think it's unlikely he's a full-time starter in 2020, even if the Broncos open in nickel. He seems like a good option as a fourth cornerback this year.

C Lloyd Cushenberry III: Some disagree, but I think he'll be a Day 1 starter in the middle of the Broncos' line. He may struggle against athletic defensive tackles at times, but I think being between Dalton Risner and Graham Glasgow should help him quite a bit.

DL McTelvin Agim: I expect he'll be a rotational player on a very deep defensive line. I suspect he'll battle DeMarcus Walker for that fifth spot.

TE Albert Okwuegbunam: The Broncos' third tight end and second option as a receiving threat from the position, Okwuegbunam seems most useful in two-tight-end sets. I wouldn't expect him to go crazy as a rookie, though. A couple hundred yards and a touchdown or two seems about right.

LB Justin Strnad: He should be an instant impact player on special teams and could push for reps at linebacker in the team's sub-packages. If healthy, he could be an upgrade in the coverage department. I wouldn't expect him, though, to be an every-down player.

G Netane Muti: I suspect Muti won't appear in many games — if any — this season. The Broncos could and should be cautious with the sixth-round pick and get him back to full health. This could be a redshirt type of season for Muti.

WR Tyrie Cleveland: The Broncos are deep at wide receiver, so it will be a battle for Cleveland to make the roster. If he makes the roster, I would expect him to be an option only if the injury bug hits the group. He also could be a practice squad player — and there's no shame in that.

OLB Derrek Tuszka: I think Tuszka has a sneaky good chance of making the roster. An FCS All-American, Tuszka had 13.5 sacks as a senior. The Broncos think highly of reserve rusher Jeremiah Attaochu, and Malik Reed proved himself last season, as well. If the Broncos keep five outside linebackers, he could make the team. Perhaps he will even push Reed for the fourth spot.

Also keep an eye on college free agents RB LeVante Bellamy, S Douglas Coleman III and CB Essang Bassey. All three players have a chance to make the roster.

We have two excellent safeties but only one relief (replacement). I realize corners or, possibly, some linebackers could possibly play safety. Your thoughts, please. – Karin R.

I mentioned Coleman a moment ago, as he ranked third in the nation in interceptions as a senior at Texas Tech. That play-making ability could help him earn a spot at a relatively thin position. Though Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson comprise perhaps the best safety duo in the league, Trey Marshall is the only proven backup at that spot. The Broncos will need one more to emerge, and Coleman seems like as good a bet as any.

What's going to happen to Royce Freeman now that the draft is over? — Erich B.

I'm intrigued by the Broncos' plan at running back. Melvin Gordon III and Phillip Lindsay are clearly option 1A and 1B, but I don't know quite what that means for Freeman. A year ago, he actually carried the ball more than he did as a rookie. In 2019, Freeman had 132 carries and 50 targets as a receiver. Those numbers will definitely drop — ESPN's Mike Clay projects he'll have just 12 carries and 34 targets — but I think he's still a valuable third back. He could fulfill a Devontae Booker-esque role next year. If Bellamy wows the Broncos as an undrafted player — he reportedly got a significant $25,000 signing bonus — that could change things. For now, though, I'd still expect Freeman to contribute from time to time.