Bears coordinators preview matchup vs. Colts

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
qwh4dac0jx2nh77loadj

Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor broke down what he's seen from the Colts' defense.

"I think they play fast in the front," said Lazor, "meaning they run to the football. The linebackers are fast and play fast. I think when the defensive line stunts, they're very good at it, both how much they go lateral and then still penetrate into the backfield, so for the offensive line, it appears like things are happening really fast."

The Colts defensive line is built around Pro Bowlers Justin Houston and DeForest Buckner. While the Bears offensive line has improved this season in terms of controlling the line of scrimmage and pass protection, Sunday's game will be their biggest test yet.

"My hat's off to them for sure," said Lazor. "The technique that they use, as well as their effort in the front, is fast. I think in the secondary, even at the linebacker level, they contest a lot of throws. Even when they're playing zone, they do a nice job matching up to the routes and contesting the throws, so they don't really give you the simple ones, the easy ones."

Foles ignited the Bears' comeback against the Falcons through a series of high-risk, high-reward throws. Against the Colts, he may need to pick his spots with more caution. Pro Bowl cornerback Xavier Rhodes, well-known to Bears fans after seven seasons playing for the Minnesota Vikings, has already recorded two interceptions this season.

"It looks like a defense that has everyone on the same page," said Lazor. "It looks like a defense where they know what they're doing, and so there's a small amount of confusion [for the opposing offense]. They're confident, so they go fast. I would guess if you're one of their defensive coaches or players, you would take that as a compliment."