Bears to celebrate Black History Month

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
g0jfgvkgixflmj0u8vup

The Bears will celebrate Black History Month across all official team channels throughout February. Fans are encouraged to follow along and learn more about Bears and Chicago Black history.

Feature stories will focus on Bears players past and present who attended Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs); Bears players such as Willie Thrower and Eddie Macon who have been Black history pioneers; the involvement of Gale Sayers and Willie Galimore in the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s; and former Bears executive Rod Graves, who is currently the director of the Fritz Pollard Alliance.

Other scheduled content includes:

• A video tour of DuSable Museum of African American History. Former Bears players Jerry Azumah and Rashied Davis will take a tour of the museum led by director of education and programs Dr. Kim Dulaney. The Bears and Bears Care also partnered with DuSable Museum on Juneteenth to raise $19,000 for the museum. The DuSable Museum of African American History, a Smithsonian Institution Affiliate, aims to promote understanding and inspire appreciation of the achievements, contributions and experiences of African Americans through exhibits, programs and activities that illustrate African and African American history, culture and art.

• Player-led interviews with Black historians. Bears players will hold video interviews with prominent local Black historians. Each interview will be shared on ChicagoBears.com and the team's other social media platforms so fans can learn about Black history alongside Bears players.

• As a continuation from Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the Bears will highlight youth community leaders on their social media accounts. Youth from organizations such as Breakthrough Urban Ministries, By the Hand Club for Kids and My Block, My Hood, My City will be featured.