Best moments from Friday's 2003 X-Clown watch party

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
lvfrfmwi4lp7akkv1phu

Smith began the show live with the group and was then featured with Delhomme later on in a pre-recorded segment because of his NFL Network obligations. Naturally, both conversations focused on the game's final play, famously known in the Carolinas as X-Clown.

Fields asked Smith if he knew he'd score when he caught it.

"No, I was hoping not to get blown up," Smith said. "The reason I was wearing a visor at that point was that earlier in the game, Travis Fisher poked me in the eye with a Three Stooges-type move. I caught it and when I realized I didn't get hit, I just thought, 'I can't get caught. They would kill me if I get caught.'"

Later in the show, Delhomme admitted the play wasn't meant to be a game-ender:

"We weren't thinking this was going to be a touchdown pass. It was third-and-long. We were just trying to get a first down. We had completed it earlier in the game, couldn't ever complete it in practice."

"Nooo," Smith retorted. "You just couldn't complete the pass to me. It's still green grass. It's a 15-yard route. I did my thing which is to beat the corner. Now your job was to throw it to the handsome man in the No. 89 jersey."