Better-Settled Cousins Approaching 2nd Year with Vikings ‘1 Bite at a Time’

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
mh89ooph7aau1cp87e0y

EAGAN, Minn. — The driveway is better than the hotel parking lot, even if the garage door won’t close.

Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins said he feels more settled at the unofficial start to the 2019 season than this time a year ago when the ink on his three-year contract was fresh.

“I think like any of you who have worked somewhere for several years, your second year was … more comfortable than your first year,” Cousins said Tuesday during a session with media members at Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center.

“I don’t know how to articulate that, but I think whatever the words are that would sum that up is what I feel going into Year 2,” Cousins added. “I didn’t leave the TownePlace Suites this morning. I left my house. Still trying to get my garage door fixed … I couldn’t get my garage door to go down as I backed out … but I’m settled, and I think that helps.”

Cousins said he believes that being more settled “can help with leadership and your command of the offense and the ability to play at a high level and then ultimately win, which is always really nice.”

Even though the Vikings have made multiple changes to the offensive coaching staff, Cousins is finding familiarity.

Minnesota promoted Kevin Stefanski, who began last season as quarterbacks coach and finished as interim offensive coordinator, to the OC role. The Vikings also brought in Gary Kubiak as an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor and Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Rick Dennison

Kubiak has strong ties to Mike Shanahan, who was the head coach when Washington drafted Cousins in 2012, and many believe that elements of that system could be blended into Stefanski’s plans for 2019.

The Vikings want to improve their run production and their effectiveness in using play-action passing, marrying the run and pass games.

Cousins on Monday tweeted a picture of the playbook that was waiting for him and the offensive players upon their arrival.