Brian Burns taking away the positives from an up and down rookie year

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
lhugr7nxb8uesclfr3kr

“That should be 8.5, but the one from Atlanta doesn’t count,” Burns said, referencing his sack on the Falcons’ two-point conversion attempt. “I’m saying that forever. That should be 8.5, but I’m not going to keep going on about it. I’m just blessed to have that much success, even through the ups and downs, so I’m just going to keep pushing and improve.”

So, what does that path to improvement look like for Burns ahead of his second year? To be honest, there isn’t an easy answer. Other than gaining a few pounds, there isn’t one specific area Burns wants to focus on honing during the offseason.

“Pretty much everywhere, honestly. I feel like I left a lot of plays out there,” Burns said. “From a technique standpoint, from holding on good weight, just becoming an every-down player, just proving myself. Taking my IQ to another level, that’s part of the game, too. All of those aspects, I can have improvement in any aspect like that. That’s just the main things I’m focusing on.”

Despite the Panthers not achieving the results Burns had hoped his team would accomplish when he first arrived in Charlotte, there was still plenty for Burns to take from his rookie campaign.

“G-O (Greg Olsen) had a good speech last night that told us to take away something positive from the season, even though it didn’t go how we planned,” Burns said. “He was really speaking to me when he was saying that. I just looked back on everything I learned and the guys I played with and just realized I’m blessed regardless of how the season’s going.”

Now, it’s time for Burns to turn his focus to replicating his success next season, and preferably without a club on his hand.

“It’s going to be great,” Burns joked. “I’m doing nothing but wrist exercises this whole offseason.”