Broncos 14, Falcons 10: Observations

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
pdfutfl23anqder089jz

PASS RUSHERS BUILD OFF STRONG CAMPS

A significant reason why Denver's backup quarterbacks were under pressure during practices was the pass-rush work of the Broncos' reserves, including outside linebacker Malik Reed and defensive ends Dre'Mont Jones and DeMarcus Walker.

Reed and Walker each posted sacks, and Reed led all Denver front-seven players with four total tackles.

But Jones' hit of Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub with 5:28 left was the most impactful defensive play of the night. It forced an errant throw that Trey Johnson intercepted at the Atlanta 38-yard line, setting up the game-winning drive.

The blow to Schaub was the second of consecutive explosive plays for Jones. One snap earlier, he engulfed Atlanta running back Qadree Ollison in the backfield for a 4-yard loss.

And while his work against the run is important, Jones knows why the Broncos drafted him: to generate pressure on passing downs.

"I've always been able to try to hone my craft to rush the passer, because the league has changed. It's not a run-stuffing league anymore," Jones said. "I've been focusing on that because I know that's what they want me to do here."

THE PUNT-RETURN SHUFFLE

It wasn't a different returner every time out, but Special Teams Coordinator Tom McMahon did change his punt returners throughout the game, with McKnight, Brendan Langley, Nick Williams and Devontae Jackson handling the work.

McKnight had the most explosive return of the group, bursting down the left seam with an 18-yard return that set up Hogan and the offense at its 49-yard line for its second series, from which it drove to Muhammad's touchdown.

McKnight prepared for a precision punt that lingered in the air, but Bosher's 44-yard punt sped toward him, leaving him with some open field.

"I was surprised," McKnight said. "[Bosher] kicked a line drive to me and I thought, 'Shoot, I thought I was gonna have more hang time.' I just caught it and made the most of it."

Langley had the roughest night. He moved forward to field a 36-yard Bosher punt, but muffed it, allowing Atlanta to recover at the Denver 40-yard line. He successfully fielded a punt in the second half, calling for a fair catch.

Langley, Jackson and Muhammad also handled kickoff-return duties. Each had one runback apiece, with Langley's 26-yarder leading the trio.

BIG PLAY IN THE SECONDARY

Johnson's interception wasn't his only key moment. He also prevented a score in the third quarter, lunging to prevent Falcons tight end Eric Saubert from catching a 9-yard touchdown pass from Kurt Benkert.

A pair of incompletions followed, leading the Falcons to settle for a 27-yard Giorgio Tavecchio field goal and ensuring that Johnson effectively made a 4-point play.