Broncos Training Camp Day 2 report: Adjusting to change at ILB

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
l4goi5lqffplsqvh97zd

PLAY OF THE DAY

... Running back Khalfani Muhammad turned his solid day into a big one with a final-snap catch of a deep pass from Brett Rypien on a wheel route.

Earlier in the practice, he galloped downfield for a long gain on a well-executed draw play that saw him use blocks from Elijah Wilkinson and Jake Rodgers to burst into the open field. But his catch at the end provided the memorable moment of the day.

Muhammad, one of the fastest running backs in the NFL, found himself in tight coverage from Johnson, who strode step-for-step with him as he headed for the right pylon.

"I'm 253 pounds. He's a fast guy. I was running right there with him. But he made a great play. There wasn't a referee to call it, so I say he was out bounds, but he made a hell of a catch," Johnson said.

As frustrating as it was to be on the wrong end of a great play, Johnson knows he can use it as a moment from which he can grow.

"It felt pretty good until he caught the ball. I was like, 'Oh my gosh!' My heart dropped. I was like, 'Man.' But I learned from that play," he said. "I know that next time I've got to run down the field with him, instead of just putting my hands up, I've got to turn around and get my head up so I can catch the ball instead of just trying to swat it out and stare at him. So that's one thing I can improve on -- to look back and try to make the play myself."

TIGHT ENDS DRAW ATTENTION AGAIN

It was another notable day for the Broncos' complement of tight ends. Jake Butt saw seven-on-seven repetitions as he continues completing his recovery from a torn ACL. But the dominant storyline Friday was the shuffling of tight ends onto the first team, as Jeff Heuerman, Troy Fumagalli, Noah Fant and undrafted rookie Austin Fort all received repetitions with the first team.

Fant had multiple receptions while working with all four quarterbacks on the roster, and found success working in the flat on quick out routes. Fort did well at plucking passes out of the air in the flat.

In the course of one offseason, a position that had been a trouble spot in recent years transformed into a strength that is providing the Broncos' linebackers and safeties a stern daily test.

"You've got a bunch of tight ends that can move pretty fast, and are good in space, and also some guys that can block well," Jewell said. "I think we're getting the best work that we can possibly can get. I don't think you can go anywhere else and get the work that we're getting against these guys. So I'm grateful for that. Hopefully that will make us better throughout the season."

The best catch of the day for the tight ends, however, belonged to Bug Howard. After missing Thursday’s work with an illness, he had a slew of catches, including one from Rypien that saw him leap down the middle of the field amid a cluster of four defenders to grab the pass.