Budda Baker Is Turning Heads, Including His Own

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
gbzdtuoid2bxb9jxbs3i

The scariest thing about 2020 is COVID-19, especially for someone like Baker, whose mom, Michelle, has battled a host of medical issues throughout her life and has a weak respiratory system.

The first known cases of the virus in the United States came from the Pacific Northwest, where Michelle lives, and Baker acted decisively.

"This is a terrible situation," Baker said. "Right when it first hit, I sent my mom and my little sister out to Arizona. They were chilling with me for like three months. I like to live alone, but having them there was fun, and it was a great reason for them to be there at my house."

Even though his mom is part of the vulnerable population, Baker said he didn't consider opting out of the season – right tackle Marcus Gilbert was the only Cardinals player to do so – and is excited to build on his first three years in the league.

He is now eligible for a contract extension, with an age (24) and résumé that would seem to indicate a lucrative deal on the horizon. The lost revenue from 2020 could result in a lower salary cap next season, which could complicate matters, but Baker said he will leave the contract negotiations to his agent, David Mulugheta.

"I've kind of just let him do anything on the contract situation, and I've been focusing on football," Baker said. "Getting this new team here together and trying to be a lot better than we have been the last few years, my focus has been on that. If the contract stuff comes, it will come. My mind is on the season, and Week 1 versus San Fran."

Baker is in the final year of his rookie deal, which makes him a tremendous bargain in 2020. It seemed like there was a leaguewide reckoning about his value last season, although the success and plaudits did not change Baker's view of himself.

"I've been a confident player my whole life, really," Baker said. "I'm just not (into) showing it. I kind of like to just show it on the field."

Baker has done that in spades through the first three years, elevating himself to among the game's most elite defensive players.

"He might be the most humble guy on the field and in the locker room, but if you turn on the tape and watch Budda play, he's one of the best safeties in the league," Williams said.

Continue reading...