Byron Murphy In Better Place Heading Into Second Season

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
nen9l7vramxhceuyxry2

Murphy's best skill may be his playmaking ability, and at nickel corner, he will naturally be in the middle of the action, ready to take advantage of any wayward throws or deflections.

"He's one of those ballhawk-type players," Kingsbury said. "He always seems to be around the football, whether he is blitzing, making a tackle or just keeping his eyes on the quarterback, reading him and making an interception."

It conjures up flashbacks of Tyrann Mathieu, who had a preternatural gift for making plays from the slot during his stint with the Cardinals.

Murphy has yet to find NFL success close to the Honey Badger, but the mentality is the same. He wants to identify as a ballhawk that will regularly force turnovers.

"Oh, 100 percent," Murphy said. "That's kind of my thing. When I see the ball, I'm trying to go attack."

The Cardinals had high hopes for Murphy when he was drafted, and after a subpar rookie season, they are still waiting on the return in that investment.

If Murphy can settle in at nickel, it's easy to see him joining the likes of safety Budda Baker and linebacker Isaiah Simmons as playmakers up the middle of the defense.

"We're excited to see his growth with just the focus inside," Kingsbury said. "He's another young guy that we're hoping takes that next step. He's always around the football, and at that position, that's what you want to see."

Continue reading...