Camp Rewind: Vikings O-Line Takes Shape, Develops Cohesion

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
snxviy4sno5oixg81igp

Where are they now?

As it appears now, the Vikings will go with the four starters who returned from a season ago, but one of them will be in a new spot.

Reiff and O'Neill will man the tackle positions, while Bradbury is back at center for his second season in the league.

Elflein, meanwhile, has moved from left guard to right guard, a position where he played 25 games at Ohio State and helped the Buckeyes win a national title.

"I think he's really done a good job," said Vikings offensive line coach Rick Dennison. "Like everything, it's a little bit of an adjustment with footwork, but he's done a good job and has worked really well. He's really improved the last couple weeks.

"The first couple days, he had some issues that we had to work on," Dennison added. "One thing about Pat and the rest of the guys, they really take coaching. Tell them what you need them to do, and they'll work hard at it."

There was one position battle for a starting spot, as Dozier and Collins rotated reps at left guard for the majority of practices open to the media. When linemen were out and the Vikings were forced to shuffle players around, it was Dozier who took the first-team reps, an indication he could be the starter in 2020.

Dennison had high praise for Dozier, and noted how he has seen the lineman improve over their past two seasons together (Dozier and Dennison were with the Jets in 2018).

"I know he knows what he's doing. He understands the technique. Obviously, the assignments," Dennison said. "I think his confidence has risen. I think he feels very comfortable. He's come in and he always plays hard, but he's played with a different level of confidence.

"I think he's really solidified and done a very good job of working with the guys," Dennison added. "He knows it's a communication issue – you've got to be comfortable with the guys next to you and understand where they're going to be as opposed to where you are."

If those are indeed the starting five, Minnesota will also boast plenty of depth behind them.

Hill and Udoh are strong backup options at tackle, while Collins and Cleveland can presumably play guard or tackle. Jones and Samia have fared well on the interior.

Vikings Offensive Coordinator Gary Kubiak is a big fan of how the line has taken shape over the past few weeks.

"I think we've gotten deeper as a group," Kubiak said, "and that will show throughout the year."