Cardinals' Training Camp Has Arizona State Flavor

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
e3ii3hrubk9rkdtn8di6

D.J. Foster has been out of college for five years, but Arizona State reminders are everywhere at Cardinals' training camp.

On Tuesday afternoon, the veteran running back did a Zoom session with the media immediately after kicker Zane Gonzalez – a teammate of his at ASU from 2013 to 2015.

During practice, Foster did positional drills alongside fellow Sun Devil Eno Benjamin, the Cardinals' seventh round draft pick in April. Guard Sam Jones makes four Arizona State products on the roster, tied for the most among any college along with Washington and Florida.

NFL players are notoriously prideful in their alma maters, and Gonzalez was happy Benjamin was added to the group this offseason.

"Seeing him in the locker room is really cool," Gonzalez said. "Eno is a stud. I'm always happy to see another Sun Devil out here."

Foster and Benjamin are battling to make the 53-man roster this season. If the Cardinals only keep three running backs it could be one or the other, but it's all love between the two.

"He's a great kid," Foster said. "He's hungry. He's learning a lot. It's awesome to have the history of both of us going to ASU, and being able to push each other. He's kind of like a little brother."

The Cardinals even have an Arizona State tie-in on their staff, as former Sun Devil quarterback Michael Bercovici is a coaching assistant.

"Playing with Berco, I always told him he'd be a great coach one day," Foster said. "It's nice to have a best friend in the coaching perspective, to see how he sees stuff. It definitely helps me as a player."

Continue reading...