Cardinals Looking To Make Right Choice At Tackle

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
fqkmotmer5srfsm2sms4

Kugler was the offensive line coach of the Steelers in 2012 when they made Beachum a seventh-round pick, so there is extensive knowledge of his skillset and personality.

The big question is whether Beachum can successfully move from left tackle, where he has played the vast majority of his career, to the right side.

D.J. Humphries made the transition when he matriculated to the NFL, and remembers the initial awkwardness.

"It's definitely a challenge," Humphries said. "It's like writing with your left hand. I remember saying that once before. You're used to writing with your right hand your whole life, and then somebody tells you to go out there on third-and-10, Monday Night Football, and write with your left hand. It's definitely difficult, but if anybody can make that transition, it's Beachum. He's a pro's pro. He's one of those guys who does everything right."

Kugler is impressed by the Cardinals' depth on the offensive line, believing that "four or five guys" could fill in without a noticeable dropoff. If Murray ends up a reserve, he could assume a role similar to the one Mason Cole did last season, as an emergency choice at several different positions.

"He's a guy that I trust in there as a starter," Kugler said.

While Gilbert's opt-out took away a solid option at right tackle, the Cardinals had enough options heading into camp that it didn't seem like a huge blow.

As Jones and Murray continue to progress they may be able to push for the job, but with the way coaches and players have talked about the situation, Beachum is the leading candidate.

"Kelvin's a great player," edge rusher Chandler Jones said. "I had the opportunity to play against Kelvin my rookie year, so we both saw each other as young pups, and we're the same year. We speak about that every day at practice. We have the opportunity to face each other and he's doing a really good job. I'm very excited to have him on our team."

Continue reading...