Chalk Talk: Who owns Bears rookie record for receiving yards?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xrxovnvta0tsvxoka65w

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

Last Sunday against the Vikings Darnell Mooney set a Bears rookie record for most receptions for a wide receiver in a season (though Matt Forte has the record regardless of position). Who owns the Bears rookie record for yards by a wide receiver?
Sy S.
Westlake Village, California

The Bears rookie record for receiving yards by a wide receiver in a season belongs to Harlon Hill, who earned Pro Bowl honors after compiling 1,124 yards and a league-leading 12 touchdowns on 45 catches in 1954. As you mentioned, Mooney broke Hill's team record for receptions by a rookie wide receiver against the Vikings. Through 14 games, Mooney has caught 46 passes for 499 yards and four touchdowns. The Bears record for catches by a rookie regardless of position, as you noted, was set by running back Matt Forte with 63 in 2008.

I loved seeing the Bears offense continue to click in Sunday's win over the Vikings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Pat O'Donnell only punted once all day. Have the Bears ever gone an entire game without punting at all?
Steve R.
Deerfield, Illinois

Yes, there have been five games in Bears history where they did not punt. It most recently happened in a 38-17 loss to the Packers Sept. 28, 2014 at Soldier Field. Even more interesting is that Green Bay also didn't punt, making it just the second game in NFL history where neither team punted. The Bears' eight possessions culminated with two touchdowns, one field goal, two interceptions, one turnover on downs and the ends of both halves. The Packers' seven drives culminated with five touchdowns, one field goal and one missed field goal.

I've been lucky enough to be able to watch almost all Bears games this year even being north of the state line. It seems like in the wins this year the defense is making the game-saving play as time expires. How many times have the Bears finished a win in victory formation this year?
Craig K.
Wisconsin

Very interesting question, Craig. Six of the Bears' seven wins this season have come by seven points or fewer. The defense preserved three of those victories by making a stop as time expired: Jaylon Johnson broke up a pass in a 27-23 win over the Lions, the Giants were penalized for pass interference in a 17-13 victory over New York and Sherrick McManis intercepted a Hail Mary pass in last Sunday's 33-27 thriller over the Vikings. The Bears capped their three other one-score wins in the victory formation—but in all three cases that came after the defense had produced a late game-saving play. Tashaun Gipson Sr.'s interception clinched a 30-26 win in Atlanta with 1:06 to go, and DeAndre Houston-Carson later preserved back-to-back victories with a breakup of a Tom Brady pass with :33 left in a 20-19 win over the Buccaneers and by intercepting Teddy Bridgewater with 1:28 remaining in a 23-16 victory in Carolina.

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week. Email your question to Larry.