Chalk Talk: Who will start at corner with Johnson?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xrxovnvta0tsvxoka65w

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

Who do you think will start at cornerback alongside Jaylon Johnson?
Timothy R.
Greensboro, North Carolina

That position is seemingly wide open, and I don't expect a decision to be finalized until training camp and the preseason are underway. The most experienced option is Desmond Trufant, who has started all 103 games he's played in eight NFL seasons with the Falcons (2013-19) and Lions (2020). Trufant likely will be challenged by Kindle Vildor, a 2020 fifth-round pick from Georgia Southern the Bears are high on. Another player to watch in training camp and the preseason is rookie sixth-round pick Thomas Graham Jr., who demonstrated ball skills and playmaking ability at Oregon before sitting out the 2020 season due to COVID-19. Other candidates with NFL experience include Artie Burns, Xavier Crawford and Teez Tabor. Former CFL standout Tre Roberson also returns to battle for a roster spot in what figures to be one of the most competitive positions in training camp.

I read that veteran nose tackle Eddie Goldman was not at Wednesday's OTA practice. Has he returned to the Bears after opting out of the 2020 season?
Gary T.
Indiana

Bears coach Matt Nagy told reporters Wednesday that Eddie Goldman has in fact been back at Halas Hall this offseason. Goldman, as you mentioned, opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns. Here's exactly what Nagy had to say about the veteran nose tackle from Florida State: "I was fortunate enough to talk to Eddie. I saw Eddie. It was awesome to see him. He was here in the facility and looks really good, and he's the same old Eddie. It was neat to see him. It definitely put a smile on my face."

When was the last time a Bears quarterback started all 16 games in a season?
Ronald F.
Merrillville, Indiana

The last time that happened was in 2009 when Jay Cutler started all 16 games in his first season with the Bears. Cutler set franchise records for attempts (555) and completions (336) for a team that went 7-9. He later broke both marks with 561 attempts and 370 completions in 2014.