Chandler Jones Has Eyes Set On NFL Sack Record

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
zivdna5d2abrk4aptjgl

Chandler Jones has usually kept his motivations vague season to season, choosing only to say he'd like to get better from the previous year.

Coming off his personal best season of 19 sacks, though, perhaps there is reason to get more specific. Perhaps there's a reason for him to acknowledge the NFL sack record – 22½ by Michael Strahan – is a target for which to reach.

"I feel like I'm getting closer and closer," the 30-year-old Jones said during a virtual interview session Thursday. "I don't feel older. I had a pretty decent year last year, and I feel even better with this time off, my body got some time to rest. Why not? Why can't I break the record?"

The record is "a personal goal of mine," Jones added, noting that improvements of defensive personnel – and even offensive advances – put him in a better position than before to improve on his sack total.

Devon Kennard will be the other outside linebacker, and Jones said he has already had discussions with his new teammate where both are willing to swap sides whenever necessary. New defensive lineman Jordan Phillips can be a force up the middle, Jones said, which would certainly aid anyone pushing from the edge. And if the Kyler Murray-led offense can score like is hoped, it'll put opponents into positions to have to throw more often -- which funnels right into Jones' strong suit.

Jones' talent itself, however, is the main reason he's had the success he's had, and why even talking about a 23-sack season sounds plausible.

"Where I am right now in my career, I definitely feel I have mastered the art of pass rush," Jones said. "Half of the battle is just having confidence, knowing no one can block you. You can say it out loud or say it to yourself. Each and every week, I feel no one in the NFL can block me."

Continue reading...