Christian McCaffrey training with brothers, working to become more complete receiver

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
bydtuiv26raw8d7qhvnf

Because McCaffrey is the only player to record 2,500 yards rushing and receiving in his first three seasons, it's tough to think of what he can do that much better in 2020. But as he's studied film of last season, he's found plenty of plays he wants back.

"I'm constantly trying to work to get better — and that's such a broad statement, but I definitely specify it day to day in what I'm focusing on," McCaffrey said, noting his goal of trying to be as complete a player as possible.

To that end, McCaffrey hopes to improve not only as a traditional running back but also as a wide receiver — being able to run a full route tree.

"I'll go through cycles of working on patience on my inside zone tracks. I'll work on routes of 15 yards and more from the Z receiver spot, or from the F receiver spot," McCaffrey said. "I think with a new offense as well, really understanding the dynamics of the playbook is extremely important right now. So that's kind of my main focus."

Since receiving the playbook last week, McCaffrey has, not surprisingly, begun to immerse himself in new offensive coordinator Joe Brady's scheme. And in studying those Xs and Os, McCaffrey has found plenty of reasons for excitement.

"I think we have so much speed and versatility, we have a dynamic quarterback, and we have someone who knows how to get his guys in the best position to succeed," McCaffrey said. "I think that's the thing that excites me the most."

So as we all socially distance and wade through the uncertainty of what's to come, McCaffrey is staying on track by doing what he does best — controlling what he can with a regimented routine.

"Every day right now, I'm just treating it like it's the same schedule — treating it like it's the offseason program for me," said McCaffrey, who last week signed the richest running back contract in NFL history.

"I'll wake up, work out, have meetings, work out again, and then study a little more at night and hang out with my family and that's about it."