Coordinators Chat: Crafting a rush plan for Kyler Murray

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
al2lolmzw9tbluwo44wz

OFFENSE ON THIRD DOWNS AND THE RED ZONE

In the win over Los Angeles, the Panthers were 1-of-6 in red zone efficiency and 3-of-12 on third down. Five of the nine unsuccessful third down tries came in the red zone.

"The last game, a lot of them did marry together, but I think they are two separate entities," offensive coordinator Joe Brady said. "We've just got to continue to put those drives together to punch touchdowns in the red zone because that's what's going to win football games."

Brady reiterated the notion of third downs in the red zone being "four-point plays." Head coach Matt Rhule and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater have also mentioned that as the difference between getting a touchdown and settling for a field goal.

Carolina has converted 44.4 percent of its third downs, which currently ranks No. 13. But Arizona is the league's best defense at stopping third down, allowing first downs on just 28.6 percent of attempts.

"I think a big thing is getting people behind the chains in first and second down," Brady said. "But they're doing a great job, even in third-and-medium range.

"(W)hen you have a defensive end/outside linebacker who (has led) the league in sacks (Chandler Jones), you're able to impact the quarterback. I think they have very good corners that can shut down on the outside. So it allows you to kind of really dial-up anything you want with the defense."

The Panthers' best shot will be to stay in third-and-manageable situations, which means they'll need solid first- and second-down production.