Coordinators Chat: Takeaways from Joe Brady, Phil Snow and Chase Blackburn

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
w5cwe0wfrcyynrvoogly

OFFENSIVE WEAPONS

Running back Christian McCaffrey's touches have been discussed throughout the offseason, as he led the league by far with 403 last year. But Brady didn't indicate a reduction is coming.

"I don't think the amount he had last year was a ridiculous amount of touches — I don't. I think he was on course with a player of his caliber with touches," Brady said. "Now, it might more so be when he's getting those touches and how he's getting those touches.

"But at the end of the day, we want to win football games, and that's the most important thing to him and to us. And I know when the ball's in his hands, he gives us a great opportunity to win. So we'll cross that path game by game."

Brady added that getting to work with McCaffrey in person has revealed the running back is even better than Brady thought.

Also at running back, Brady echoed Rhule's recent positive comments about backup Mike Davis.

"He came in focused, he came in in shape and ready to go, and I think he's taken off from that," Brady said.

On the outside, Brady is obviously excited to work with his speedy top three receivers in DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, and Robby Anderson.

"There's not many coaches that are fortunate to have … at least three wide receivers at any given play we feel confident getting the ball to," Brady said. "They all bring different strengths to our offense, and it's my job and our coaches have to put them in positions to have that success."

Because those three are so versatile, the Panthers have plenty of options to keep a defense off-balance during a possession.

"When we're fortunate to be able to line up in the same formation for five straight plays and be able to call five different plays to get three receivers the ball and not have to move them around, it makes our lives a lot easier," Brady said.