Danielle Hunter Healthy & Fired Up for 2021 Season

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
j4giopyzztmx7ble2xtz

"Danielle is a big part of our football team," Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer said Wednesday morning. "He's a great kid, loves to work, loves to come out to practice. The guys were excited to see him [Tuesday]. It's big for our players in the locker room, and we're excited to get Danielle back."

Hunter's teammates echoed Zimmer's sentiment on having the defensive end back in the fold in 2021.

"Everybody's got their own business side going on, so as a player, definitely respect that, but also very happy to have Danielle back," said Vikings safety Harrison Smith. "He's a tough guy to replace. He's a game-wrecker for us, and it's good to see him, good to have him around. Just his presence, you want a guy like that in the locker room."

Added Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks: "Danielle is the best in the league. We felt that, not even having him. Looking forward to seeing his progression coming into this year, I know he's ready to play. He missed all of last year, so I know inside he's probably boiling and is ready for that first snap."

Minnesota's defense struggled without Hunter, as the Vikings pass rush generated just 23 sacks, a franchise-low number since sacks became an official stat in 1982.

The Vikings also ranked in the bottom quarter of the league in both points and yards allowed per game but revamped that unit this offseason with numerous moves.

Besides getting Hunter, Anthony Barr and Michael Pierce back from injuries or opting out, the Vikings also added Patrick Peterson, Dalvin Tomlinson, Sheldon Richardson, Mackensie Alexander, Bashaud Breeland and Stephen Weatherly, among others.

Hunter said he can't wait to see how the new-look unit comes together.

"I was pretty excited about what I saw when I came back," Hunter said. "I think we're pretty stacked on defense from the D-line to the linebackers to the DBs.

"Coming in, I think the biggest thing would be for me to learn who's next to me and learn how each guy plays. That's the biggest thing for everybody," Hunter added. "When we go out on the field and we play off each other and learn how each other plays, that's what builds defensive characteristics of knowing where a teammate is going to be or who has a certain job or what they're going to do."

Hunter did not attend Vikings voluntary Organized Team Activity practices, but did show up to Twin Cities Orthopedics Center for mandatory minicamp.

And although he hasn't participated in practice (and likely won't Thursday), his return could be the biggest boost of all for a defense that is looking for a bounce-back season in 2021.

"Coming back, the biggest thing for me at that time was to focus on my health and making sure I get myself back to 100 percent," Hunter said of missing OTAs. "I think, personally and for the team, the best thing at that time was for me to get myself back in the best shape and in the best healthy shape as possible.

"I'm happy to be back and I'm ready to go," Hunter added. "I'm just eager to get back out there on the field."