David Carr Shares Experience with Kubiak, Weighs in on Vikings Offense

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pwe5spqjighstml3n5zn

“It’s too hard to make big plays in the NFL just asking the quarterback to drop back seven steps and asking your tackle to block the best athlete on the field,” Carr continued. “I think his philosophy is dead-on, and you have to utilize that. You have to utilize your schematic advantage to beat some of these explosive defensive ends that you’re going to play against.”

Carr told Wobschall he believes the Vikings offense will be “a lot better” in 2019 with a scheme influenced by Stefanski and Kubiak.

He pointed out the ties between Kubiak and Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins, who started four consecutive seasons in Washington before signing with Minnesota last spring.

“Just the history of that offense – you think about when Kirk Cousins was playing some really good football in Washington with [Offensive Coordinator] Kyle Shanahan – [it’s] the same system,” said Carr, who reminded that Shanahan was Houston’s wide receivers coach in 2006 before coaching quarterbacks in 2007 and becoming an offensive coordinator for the first time (2008-09)

“I think Kirk Cousins is going to play a lot better football under Gary, in that system with Kevin. I think Kevin’s a good football coach, as well,” Carr said. “I think they have some good pieces [offensively], and I think that Kirk’s going to be really good in this system.”

In his lone season under Kubiak, Carr led the NFL with a completion percentage of 68.3, one year removed from a completion percentage of 60.5.

He called Kubiak “a guy who knows what to ask” of a team’s quarterback.

“That’s all you can ask for from the quarterback position, is a guy that understands what you’re going through out there, doesn’t ask you to do anything crazy, is reasonable, but also is going to be put you in a position to make a ton of plays, and he’s going to find completions for you,” Carr said. “When you look around the league, the best [coaches] are guys that create offense for their quarterback, and Gary’s a guy who can do that.”

Carr spoke highly of Minnesota’s talent at other positions.