Despite delay to offseason program, Drew Lock consistently studying playbook, throwing

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
w2vn5nc4uv8uiegnvlix

OFFSEASON ADDITIONS:

John Elway and the Broncos added major pieces in March as they traded for A.J. Bouye and Jurrell Casey and signed Graham Glasgow, Melvin Gordon and several other players.

Gordon, a two-time Pro Bowler, should be one of Lock's primary weapons in 2020.

"That's going to be a nasty one-two punch with him and Phil [Lindsay]," Lock said. "I think just being able to have guys that can bounce it like Phil can, [and] I know Melvin can do the same. Good hands out of the backfield. I said good — great hands out of the backfield. You watch a lot of clips of him catching the ball out of the backfield, which will be big for us. And then being able to pound it on third-and-short, fourth-and-short. Being able to trust a big, heavy-bodied guy to go get that first down for us. I think he's also going to be a good teammate … just from when I've been talking to him, a couple text messages that we've had. It seems like we're going to have a pretty good relationship."

Lock, who played basketball in high school, said Gordon can help Lindsay in the offense and that even "Michael [Jordan] needed Scottie Pippen."

"We all need a little help here and there," Lock said. "That'll be good for us in the passing game too. You talk about guys double-teaming Courtland, you're going to have to load the box with our running backs that we have this year and try to stop our run game, which will help free up Courtland and other guys on the outside."

On the offensive line, Glasgow should provide a consistent sense of protection. The fifth-year player started 31 of 32 games over the past two seasons and allowed just one sack.

"Respect to [former Broncos center] Connor [McGovern] being my Missouri guy, I was upset to see him leave, and I hope he does well in New York," Lock said. "[But] with Dalton [Risner] and Graham up the middle, I'm going to feel pretty safe with everyone coming up the middle there, without a doubt. I saw a lot of the statistics about Graham and all the snaps he had [without] quarterback pressures and if I'm sitting here in Kansas City and I see that, I'm pretty excited to have him on my team."

In all, Lock seemed impressed with the team's offseason haul.

"It's been awesome," Lock said. "You look at some things you thought you might want to go for as far as position-wise, and I think they're getting the top-notch guys at each of those positions."

ADJUSTING TO PAT SHURMUR'S OFFENSE:

As he's watched Shurmur's New York Giants' offense, Lock has started to get a feel for what the Broncos' attack could look like in 2020.

"Just watching the Giants' stuff, it's going to be an exciting offense to play in," Lock said. "We're going to attack people deep … but we're going to be smart with how we attack them. Coach Shurmur's done an awesome job with developing quarterbacks, same with [Quarterbacks] Coach [Mike] Shula. Again, it's going to be one of those things where you're not going to be able to walk in the room with your head down and not [be] sharp every single day. … There's going to be a lot of expectations to come in and be the leader of this team, perform well, take care of the ball. I saw a lot of good things on film when I was watching their games, and I'm just excited to go out there on the field and kind of start repping those plays."

Shurmur's offenses in New York — and previously in Minnesota — consistently ranked among the league's best in big plays.

While in Miami ahead of Super Bowl LIV, Lock got the chance to speak with Giants quarterback Daniel Jones, whom New York selected after strongly evaluating both of the two players.

"He spoke very highly of both of them," Lock said of Jones' review. "Shula might get on your butt a little bit, but it's all in good nature. He spoke very highly of them and the offense that they ran."

Lock met Shurmur and Shula during that 2019 pre-draft process, and he has seen them briefly since they were hired in Denver.

"I think they're going to be awesome for us, can relate well," Lock said. "Coach Shurmur's kid [Chiefs practice-squad QB Kyle Shurmur], obviously, is my age, and we played against him a couple times. So he understands young guys. He understands our mindset and how we learn and the fastest way for us to play confident and play fast. I'm excited to be able to have him in our room."