Doleman's Friends, Coaches Remember 'A Phenomenal Human Being'

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
piawx2bnkeicyxwcgun4

Doleman's former teammates, coaches and friend are shocked and saddened by the news of his sudden passing.

"I've [known] Chris Doleman since I was 17 years old. He recruited me when … they had those great University of Pittsburgh teams, and I was just a kid in Ohio looking for an opportunity," said Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter. "So, we were friends for almost 40 years. Truly, truly, we have lost a great man – and I have lost a friend."

Andre Patterson was the Vikings defensive line coach in 1999, which was Doleman's final season in the NFL. He recalled how Doleman carried himself like a professional even though he was a surefire Hall of Famer by then.

"Easy-going, but he would let out the big personality at times. He did like to be funny in the room," said Patterson, who is now Minnesota's co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach. "Chris was a caring person, and he would take the young guys under his wing and help me coach them up.

"I try to carry that legacy on with our guys today, and that's why our guys do that today. For a guy that was already a legend by the time I got to coach him, he didn't carry himself that way. He still had an eagerness to learn and try to get better," Patterson added. "He didn't carry himself like he knew it all, and it was a tremendous honor to me that I got to coach him. Years later, he treated me like I had coached him for a lot of years. That meant a lot to me."

Doleman played for three teams over his legendary 15-year career, but he spent 10 of them in Purple with the Vikings. He racked up 150.5 career sacks, which ranks fifth on the all-time list during a career that also included five total seasons with the Falcons and 49ers.