Donte Jackson starting new year on the right foot

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
wnr4tukilhk7qt0fxy4v

That would be beneficial, to the team and to Jackson himself. He's entering the final year of his rookie deal, but said that wasn't on his mind. What is on his mind is working to get better, and his coaches see that.

Veteran defensive coordinator Phil Snow said the staff has emphasized to Jackson that the more detailed he became in his work, the better off he'll be.

"Donte knows that the more consistent he gets ... his talent, his movement skills, I don't know that there's much better in all of football," Snow said. "So the more consistent he gets, the more big plays. He has exceptional ball skills and exceptional movement. So the more consistent he gets, I think it's the limit.

"You've got to understand who you are. We're really direct with our players, what they need to get better at. I think when things come real easy to you, you get complacent a little bit, we all do. That's kind of how football is with him. He understands that, and I think he trusts us, So everything's going well with him."

Snow did a little extrapolation, and said that if Jackson could play a full dose of snaps, he could reasonably build on last year's three interceptions.

Toward that end, Jackson rattled off a list of things he knows he needs to improve on.

"Oh definitely, my detail and my craft," he said. "Being more on myself about my craft, and my feet and my hands and my eyes. Just being more on myself, coaching myself on my mistakes before coach Snow can even come and tell me anything.

"I'm not trying to make it about myself, I'm about the whole group striving and being successful."

Jackson said he loves the group, calling Bouye the "ultimate pro" and that Horn "looks as advertised."

"We have a group, not only are we fighting hard to learn the scheme and have the scheme down pat, we're fighting hard to be consistent and work on our detail and our craft," he said. "That's one thing we're holding the group accountable for, is making sure we get our technique, our detail work in.

"I think this group can be very, very impactful."