Draft is wide open for Gutekunst

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xeskeqej7oebw8qjjld8

If the best player at a given time doesn’t warrant being drafted that high, trading back to where a stronger cluster exists can be explored. Conversely, if the last player from a strong group is still available but may not fall far enough, trading up is an option.

All those choices are more at Gutekunst’s disposal now than they were a couple of months ago, to help maximize the value of his 10 picks rather than worry about leaving a key position or two short of viable NFL players. Having two first-round picks at Nos. 12 and 30 overall has created more potential trade scenarios, Gutekunst acknowledged, than usual.

“This is what I know and this is what I love. I really enjoy this part of it,” Gutekunst said. “The thought process part of it, trying to improve our team.”

Many analysts consider this draft deep in the defensive front seven, offensive line and tight end, all areas the Packers are likely to address, if not multiple times. Gutekunst used his first two picks last year at cornerback, but no team seemingly ever has enough developing players there. The Packers also have five combined running backs and wide receivers on the roster from the last two drafts, but there’s no ruling out they won’t add more.

All the preparation is pretty much done. Since last fall, when the scouts hit the road for their campus visits, the Packers have been building the draft board that will guide Gutekunst over the seven rounds from Thursday through Saturday.

He noted at this point “it’s a little dangerous” to make too many last-minute, reactionary adjustments that could undermine all the advance legwork. The board will tell him where those clusters of value are relative to his draft position each time his spot approaches, and he can make calm, collected decisions amidst the frenetic nature of 32 teams possessing different opinions and approaches.

“When you do this for as long as a lot of us have, this is what you work all year for,” Gutekunst said. “We’re all real excited. We’re at the point now we’re ready for Thursday to get here and just get through the weekend, and see what we can do to help our team.

“History here has shown there’s always chances to get difference-makers throughout the draft. I think it’s our job every time we pick to see who that is.”