Drew Lock: Hand injury is 'just a little sprain,' X-rays were negative

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
xpcsjxnqvhvlqaqad0tn

DENVER — Quarterback Drew Lock said the injury he suffered to his throwing hand is “just a little sprain” and that X-rays were negative.

Lock also said he “should be all right” and that the Broncos will check the injury out again on Tuesday to provide a more-detailed diagnosis.

The rookie quarterback sustained the injury in the second quarter of Monday’s game against San Francisco when he was sacked as he tried to escape the pocket.

“The last throw I was like, ‘I’m going to muscle through this. If we get the first down, I’m going to muscle through this drive. But I’m going to get through this one play,’” Lock said. “And, shoot, the ball came out of my hand pretty nice after that. That’s a good sign to me: being able to throw right after that. It hurt a little bit, but once I got over here it kind of stiffened up a little bit.”

Head Coach Vic Fangio said he thinks both Lock and Noah Fant (foot) suffered injuries that are “mild in nature.”

“We’ll see come tomorrow and the next day,” Fangio added.

He said he did not know if either player could have stayed in if the Broncos were playing a regular-season game.

Fant suffered his injury during the first quarter as he was tackled following a reception.

Linebacker Joe Dineen (hand) also exited Monday’s game. Fangio said he didn’t have more information to provide, other than that he didn’t think Dineen would’ve returned in normal game conditions.

Fangio held several starters out of all game action on Monday, including safety Kareem Jackson, cornerback Bryce Callahan, tight end Jeff Heuerman and guard Ron Leary.

“Kareem had the hamstring [injury],” Fangio said. “He was well enough to practice with it this week, but it’s easier to tone your tempo down in practice than it is in a game when the lights are on, the stadium nearly [full]. Just didn’t want to expose him to that.”

The Broncos also continue to be cautious with Callahan, who broke his foot last season.

“Bryce, we’re just resting him with his foot,” Fangio said. “He’s coming off that foot injury. At times, it bothers him. Again, we’re just doing the prudent thing there.”

Fangio said Leary’s knee and Heuerman’s shoulder were “bugging” them and that he thinks all four players “could’ve played.”