Fantasy morphing into reality for Teven Jenkins

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
eg9kcqbsmj9c6oj6xj5s

Jenkins told reporters during a Zoom call Friday that when he gets some down time, he wants to see a skyscraper up close and sample some of Chicago's famous pizza.

Those excursions will have to wait, though, given that Jenkins is in town this weekend for one thing and one thing only: to participate in Bears rookie minicamp. The 6-6, 320-pounder is among 33 players who will take part in virtual meetings and non-contact practices Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Halas Hall.

"I definitely feel 100 percent ready, and it's just because of my offseason workouts all the way up to this point and what I've been doing," Jenkins said. "I'm working at my craft and my sets, and coming in here I'm starting to learn more technique, new technique. I'm trying to entwine that with what I've already learned, and I'm just trying to be ready."

Jenkins revealed that he's been studying the Bears playbook in 30-minute increments. He'll attempt to absorb as much information as possible, take a break to play video games or do something else, and then test his recall.

All Bears rookies are obviously dealing with the same assimilation process. Jenkins is especially excited about beginning to work with first-round pick Justin Fields, a quarterback from Ohio State.

"One thing I'm looking forward to is just seeing that chemistry between me and him," Jenkins said. "That's what it is. Learning how he sets up in the pocket, learning where I've got to sit and everything, and just seeing how he plays and how he reacts back there. Then carrying my sets and how I play with that, too. Then seeing if we have that good chemistry like hopefully we could have."

Chemistry on an offensive line is particularly important, and Jenkins has already spoken to some of his veteran teammates.

"I had a few reach out to me," he said. "The one I've been talking to mostly is Cody Whitehair. I've been talking back and forth with him. Basically he just reached out to see if I need a helping hand or anything, if I need extra help anywhere I can. All I can really say is I really appreciate him, and I really appreciate the things he's doing for me."