Final Thoughts: Vikings Anticipate 'Great Test' in Packers

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
zqj66uwznraq8bv1nqhi

EAGAN, Minn. — Somehow and someway, we have arrived at the start of the Vikings 2020 season.

Minnesota navigated a surreal offseason that was dominated by the COVID-19 pandemic and included a virtual draft, offseason programs and plenty of uncertainty.

Yet after an odd-looking training camp, the Vikings season opener against the Packers is Sunday. Kickoff is at noon (CT) from U.S. Bank Stadium, which won't host fans for at least the first two home games of 2020.

But football is here, and that brings the usual emotions that come with the beginning of a five-plus-month journey. Even for someone like Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer, who is entering his 27th overall season in the NFL, and seventh in charge in Minnesota.

"Well, I never get butterflies, but I get nervous," Zimmer said. "Every year is like that, no matter whether it's the first game my first year, or the 27th game my 27th year.

"All games are the same," Zimmer added. "You've got to go out and perform your best and let your team go out and play their best, and you're hoping the things you've done to prepare the team to get them ready to play show up."

Offensively, the Vikings feature plenty of continuity. Kirk Cousins, Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen and Kyle Rudolph are back. So are four players who started on the offensive line last season.

And while Vikings Offensive Coordinator Gary Kubiak is in his first season in that role, he was an advisor in 2019 and knows what the players' strengths are.

Defensively, Zimmer's group is anchored by veterans such as Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Anthony Harris and Harrison Smith. The challenge in 2020 will be acclimating new faces such as Yannick Ngakoue, plus getting a young cornerbacks group (where the oldest guy is 23) to play at a consistent and high level.

Believe it or not, Border Battle No. 120 is on tap for Sunday between the Vikings and Packers.

"Green Bay's going to be a great test for us," Zimmer said. [But] I feel good about [our] team. I like how they work and they prepare, but I'm confident that we'll continue to get better as the season goes on."

Here are three areas to watch in Saturday's contest, as compiled by Eric Smith, Lindsey Young and Craig Peters of Vikings.com: