Final Thoughts: Vikings Must Deal with ‘Best of the Best’ Bosa & Ingram

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nfczfbpxn7adaapzcab1

The Vikings may not use the word “fun,” per se, but right tackle Brian O’Neill is looking forward to the challenge of facing Bosa and Ingram.

“That’s the best of the best; that’s as good as you can see,” O’Neill said. “It’s a measuring stick for you as a tackle. … I’ve got goals, too, in this league, and I have things that I want to accomplish. It’s a good measuring stick for me, but I’m [most focused on] us winning the game. But you do get excited, because it’s a chance for you to show your stuff against the best.”

Lucky for O’Neill and left tackle Riley Reiff, they’re used to practicing against some pretty elite pass rushers, themselves.

“Thankfully, I get to go against two guys (Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen) here every day, who I’d like to think are similar-level players,” O’Neill said. “Our guys are pretty good, and I get a lot of work with Danielle. Anytime you get a guy like that, that helps.

“You kind of treat it like any other time you play an elite pass rusher,” O’Neill continued. “You always have to know where [Bosa] is, and you can’t get away with stuff [that you maybe can against others]. Just making sure you dot your Is and cross your Ts and make sure that there’s no detail left unturned, because they’re so explosive and good and can make you miss that quickly, that you need to be on-point with all your details to give yourself a chance.”

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer said the Chargers have “three tremendous players” in Bosa, Ingram and safety Derwin James, who recently returned from injury.

Kyle Rudolph, who is used in Minnesota’s offense both as a pass catcher and as a blocking tight end, highlighted the same trio.

“For me, the three guys that jump off the page immediately are both edge rushers, and then getting Derwin back is a huge lift for that defense, a guy they were without for the first 10-11 weeks,” Rudolph said. “They’re of that Seattle descendant; they bend and don’t break. We have our work cut out for us.”