Flacco, Scangarello provide perspective after 'very choppy' day for offense

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
vimhenqkrbv0cm8puo3i

Even on a less-than-perfect day for the offense, Scangarello still sees value in the sessions.

“The joints practices are great, just because it’s good [player] on good [player],” Scangarello said. “If they show us a blitz we haven’t seen, there’s no repercussions for the quarterback. The play can still go on. We can evaluate guys down the field. They can evaluate their coverage guys. It’s probably the same on this field. If Von Miller comes free, they can still run the plays. You go play in a game, it doesn’t happen that way; [if] a guy comes free, it’s a sack. And so here, part of the process is, yeah, you want to see where you’re at as an offense, but you also know that you’re evaluating the big picture, too — and that’s what the fun part of the crossover practices are.”

And there’s a larger lesson for the offense here, as well. Flacco, a 12-year veteran, has played enough football to know that teams don’t cruise through seasons without difficulties.

Teams have bad practices. Teams have bad quarters. Teams lose games.

How they respond is what defines seasons. In 2015, the Broncos responded to a pair of two-game losing streaks and went on a run to win Super Bowl 50.

In each of the last two seasons, though, the Broncos failed to counter those bad days or games with good ones, and the losses piled up.

Asked to grade the offense’s performance on Friday, Flacco instead looked toward that bigger picture.

“I don’t know if I can pick out grades very well, but we did below average for sure,” Flacco said. “That’s part of it. Part of being a good football team is responding to tough days, and it’s a 16-game season. There’s very few teams that can go 16 games and hold their head up and say they had an A-plus day every single day. You’re going to have to learn how to deal with tough times and with some adversity and getting hit in the face and standing up to it.

“I think this is all part of the process of building a team that can respond to those kind of things.”