Former QB knows finding answer at position is key to GM job

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
oqp2wk3ac4f33ijbtdlt

Wilson was that guy in Seattle, and having him on a cheap rookie deal helped the Seahawks build a team around a young quarterback that reached the Super Bowl his second season.

That shaped Fitterer's thinking about the position as it pertains to roster construction, but again, he's too early in his new job to allow it to be dogma.

"The problem is finding a good young rookie and having the chance to put him on the field and compete," Fitterer said. "There really are benefits of that, but we're not stuck on the rookie quarterback. We're going to look at every position and every avenue for acquisition."

Fitterer also addressed a number of other topics in his first interview since taking the job. But he's also smart enough to know he's going to get asked about quarterbacks. A lot.

Q: In interviewing you for the job, did David Tepper make adding a quarterback seem to be a priority?

Fitterer: "I think that's a priority in every owner's mind, every coach's mind, every GM's mind. We're never satisfied. Even if you have Russell Wilson, or whoever it is, you're always looking. Always evaluating quarterbacks and what's next. It's the most important position on the field. . . .

"I'm going to sit down with Coach (Matt) Rhule. We're going to come up with a plan. We want to elevate every position on the team. It's going take planning, and it's something we're going to work through moving forward."

Q: How familiar are you with the roster as it stands?

Fitterer: "It's a 30,000-foot view. You know everything on tape. Now I'm trying to learn about the players, who they are, the type of workers they are — starting to dig into that part of it now.

"This all happened so quick, you have a quick study of what the team is. Now I have to really evaluate, not just the front line players, but the depth of players. I need to know who's here. We're going to be very active in terms of churning this roster, especially on the back end and bringing the right mix of players. In order for me to do that, I need to know who's here first, and who's a fit."

Q: What particular parts of the roster jump out at you at first glance?

Fitterer: "I think when you look at it, there's a lot of really good young talent. A lot of explosive players at receiver and running back. (Jeremy) Chinn, Derrick (Brown), (Brian) Burns, Donte (Jackson). I think the way I want to build the team is one, obviously quarterback, and two, both sides of the line. Really, settling the offensive line, maybe getting another corner, just creating competition at those spots is kind of the view right now."