Free Agent Primer 2021: Safety

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
irnikj5nfz847cnwdpvm

The Cardinals cannonballed into free agency, signing J.J. Watt to a two-year deal. The work isn't done, as GM Steve Keim must fill other holes on the roster this offseason. The new league year begins on Wednesday, March 17, with the legal tampering period opening on Monday, March 15. We will break down each position group as free agency draws near.

Free agent primer: Safety

Other free agent primers: CB I WR I LB I TE I DL I RB

Cap hit of players under contract for 2021 (via OverTheCap.com): Budda Baker ($7.8 million); Jalen Thompson ($935,730); Deionte Thompson ($937,542); Chris Miller ($660,000).

Scheduled free agents: Chris Banjo; Charles Washington.

Analysis: The Cardinals are in good shape at safety. Budda Baker has turned into an All-Pro and will be one of the key players on the team for the foreseeable future after signing a long-term deal before last season. Jalen Thompson had an injury-marred 2020 campaign, but has proven to be a starting-caliber safety when he's been healthy. As long as Thompson's ankle injury is a thing of the past in 2021, the Cardinals should have their starters set.

Deionte Thompson improved in his second year and is a quality depth piece. Chris Banjo filled in as the starter for much of the year and also contributed on special teams. He would seem to be a good piece to bring back as insurance at the position, if the two sides can agree on terms.

Continue reading...