From Tom Brady to the NFL Draft, the top moments from Peyton Manning's Wednesday radio appearances

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ytnoywmvr8mcnnp6ocyb

4. 'I don't think Tom needs any advice from me'

In some ways, Tom Brady's decision to move on from his longtime NFL home is similar to Manning's. Though the former Colts QB did so because of injury, both changed teams after many years with the only other team for which they had played.

Manning said he didn't need to give Brady any advice in his transition to becoming a Buccaneer, but he did have some insight on what he's seen from Tom so far in his outlook and the coaching staff that Tampa Bay has.

"I can tell the way Tom is talking, how excited he is," Manning said on The Fan. "And certainly I'm very familiar with the coaches that he's playing for: Bruce Arians was my quarterbacks coach my first few years in the NFL. … Clyde Christensen … was my receivers coach and offensive coordinator for a couple [years] in Indianapolis; he's down there. Tom Moore, my old coordinator, he's down there. So Tom's going to get coached by some great coaches down there. I know they're excited.

"To me it's going to be an exciting year of football when it returns. How many games we're going to get, who knows, but everyone knows how hard a worker Tom is and there's no doubt he's going to help create a winning culture there in Tampa that the rest of the players feed off of."

5. What's next for the Sheriff?

What will Manning do next? Even he doesn't know for sure, but there was only one thing he would rule out: professional coaching at the college or NFL level.

"One thing, I guess, that I just don't think that I'll probably get into is coaching, if you will, in the NFL," Manning told Logan on KOA Radio. "Or, people say, 'Why don't you go back and coach in college' or whatnot. The truth of it is I'm not sure I would be as good of a coach as people think. Being a coach takes a certain skill, and just because you were a successful football player doesn't mean you'll be a good coach. I like teaching. I like teaching football. I like teaching young quarterbacks, answering questions, paying it forward. So maybe eliminate that."

Well, he did give one exception: coaching his children on their sports teams.

"As soon as flag football opens up, I am coaching Marshall's flag football team," he said. "We are the Titans next year. I'm excited for sports to open back up at the right time when it's safe. So, I think maybe little league and Pop Warner and being an assistant on Mosley's softball team and Marshall's baseball team, I enjoy that. But once again, I kind of see it more as teaching. Some of the things that I've learned along the way from my high school coach, from my college and pro coaches, I certainly do believe in paying it forward.

"But in the meantime I find myself kind of still breezy and stimulated doing a number of different things but having some time to do some different things I haven't had a chance to do and certainly being around our family and kids is priority number one."