Geronimo Allison could be ‘dangerous’ in Matt LaFleur’s offense

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
dk2wbcuslydteqdivbru

GREEN BAY – Geronimo Allison wanted 2018 to be his year, and early on, it looked like it would be.

Having built a strong connection with Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the former undrafted free agent laid siege to the No. 3 receiver post from the onset of training camp last summer.

Allison won the job behind Davante Adams and Randall Cobb, and carried that momentum through the first month of the regular season, catching 19 passes for 289 yards and two touchdowns in four starts.

The 6-foot-3, 202-pound receiver had flashed playmaking potential in the past, including a 122-yard showing against Cincinnati in 2017, but Allison’s steady September production signaled the emergence of a new sustainable threat in the Packers’ offense.

After notching his fourth game with at least 60 receiving yards, however, Allison sustained a concussion against Buffalo and then a hamstring injury that sidelined him through Green Bay’s Week 7 bye. He returned against the Los Angeles Rams on Oct. 28 before requiring surgery for a core muscle injury that ended his season after only five games.

“It was tough because I’m a guy who likes to be hands-on and be out there helping in any way, any fashion I can,” Allison said. “To have to take a step back, it was challenging at first. But it also gave me a different insight last year being more of a mentor and a coach to the younger guys.”