Green Bay native James Morgan looking to make history

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xkpxkrkwkapaiyrdchsd

"I just had the belief in myself, this is my dream, and I really had a resiliency in myself that I could really do this," Morgan said. "Despite whatever that adversity that came up, I really had a firm belief that I could do this. I think you have to have that, especially at this position, the quarterback position."

That unshakable confidence is reflected in Morgan's willingness to stand tall in the pocket and deliver the ball. He also gained points from NFL scouts and personnel execs with how he played through injuries throughout his senior year at FIU.

Morgan saw his NFL Draft stock start to rise at the East-West Shrine Bowl, when he was honored with Pat Tillman Award, presented to a player who best exemplifies character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service.

Prior to the NFL Scouting Combine, Morgan reached out to both Ingold and Scharping, and the advice seems to have paid off. Morgan not only wowed scouts with NFL-caliber arm strength in drills, but also impressed in both his session with reporters and formal interviews with NFL personnel.

He hopes it all adds up to hearing his name called on draft night two months from now. If not, Morgan will do whatever it takes this summer to earn a spot on an NFL roster and prove he belongs.

"I'd love to get drafted, but if I don't get drafted, I'm going to just work for my opportunity," Morgan said. "But I think that's something that Wisconsin athletes for sure have that hard-nosed, grind Midwest mentality, and that's why maybe they don't get drafted but a lot of them could make it eventually."