How to Watch & Listen to Vikings-Bears in Week 15

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
qrzw5pai46zi5bazkcjg

Zimmer on Film Study 101:

Despite missing a few games due to injury this season, Vikings rookie cornerback Cam Dantzler has shown steady improvement in Minnesota's secondary.

The youngster spoke to Twin Cities media members earlier this week, and when asked about the biggest improvement in his game since Week 1, Dantzler pointed to his preparation. He credited veteran teammates like Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris for helping him study opponents before games and pay attention to detail.

Zimmer acknowledged on Thursday the importance of learning how to study film for young players.

"You can always just turn on the tape and watch it but not know what to look at," Zimmer explained. "I think [Vikings defensive backs coach] Daronte Jones has done a great job teaching those young guys how to watch film and what to look for so that they are studying the right things that can help them in the games. I think Cam has gotten really good at doing that. I think Jeff [Gladney] has as, well."

Zimmer also credited rookie linebacker Troy Dye.

"We usually give him a homework assignment every week, and he's gotten more and more detailed with how he looks at [positions], whether I give him the running backs or the tight ends or the offensive line to look at," Zimmer said. "That's something that young guys have to learn is how to study film and see things that are going to help when the game is going on."

Patterson on Wonnum's early success:

Speaking of rookies studying film, Patterson said D.J. Wonnum is an excellent student of the game, and that is partially what's enabled him to make an impact during his first NFL season.

Patterson, who also coaches Minnesota's defensive line, said he's been able to ask Wonnum of more than he sometimes can with first-year players.

"Most D-linemen, you can't do that, because the game is so different from college football to pro football. They're just trying to learn how to do their technique in the run game and pass rush, all those kind of things," Patterson said. "Asking this kid to drop [into coverage], spy quarterbacks and all the things we're asking him to do, just shows how smart of a young man he is."

Wonnum logged some experience at outside linebacker for the Gamecocks.

"They did drop him at South Carolina over his tenure there. I think that's part of what makes him comfortable with that," Patterson said. "I think another part, too, is his natural athleticism that he has which is the same when Danielle [Hunter] first showed up here. It was the same way. Danielle felt comfortable in space, he felt comfortable dropping. It was natural for him to know to get under a receiver or chase a receiver, which the backers do naturally; the D-linemen don't. It's the same thing. It's part of being an athlete and part of having experience in his college days."