How to Watch & Listen to Vikings-Cowboys in Week 11

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
o6xtj4wewdcab1es1w8v

Patterson on the D-line's underdog mentality:

During the media availability with Patterson and Zimmer, the former was asked about the underdog mentality held by Minnesota's defensive line group.

"That's all of us, including me," Patterson said. "Those are the guys I like. They understand that they came from nothing, you've got to fight every day to earn your keep, and you work real hard to get better and better. It's not how you came into this league that says what kind of player you are. It's what you do once you get here. Those are the guys I love to coach."

Patterson referenced defensive end Hercules Mata'afa, who spoke to media members Wednesday and pointed out that the position group is made up of late-round draft picks. Mata'afa joined Minnesota as an undrafted free agent.

"I asked them in the meeting, 'OK, how many first-round picks are in this room? Raise your hand.' And nobody raised their hand," Patterson said. " 'How many second-round picks in this room?' Nobody raised their hand. 'How many third-round picks in this room?' Nobody raised their hand. The bottom line is, 'OK, it doesn't matter what round you came in. What matters is what you do when you get here, and are you willing to pay the price every day to improve as a player?'

"That's how I see myself as a coach. I identify with those guys," he added. "I had to work the hard way to get here, I had to work the hard way to stay here. So I identify with those kinds of guys, and those are the guys I love coaching."

Zimmer on Troy Dye's progress:

With veteran linebacker Anthony Barr on Injured Reserve, the Vikings have leaned on rookie Troy Dye, whom they drafted in the fourth round, to start in Minnesota's base defense along with Eric Kendricks and Eric Wilson.

Dye played in Minnesota's first two games before being put on IR himself but returned for the Vikings Week 8 game at Green Bay. He has nine tackles (league stats), a quarterback hit and a pass defensed through six games.

"Troy's done a good job," Zimmer said. "The more he plays, the better he gets. I think he's getting a better feel for the game and feeling a little bit more comfortable out there with the communication. Obviously there's things as a rookie he needs to improve on, as far as some technique and his pad level and different areas of his game.

"I think the more he plays, the better he's going to be," Zimmer added. "He's athletic, he can run, he's a really smart kid. I think he has a high ceiling."