Ifeadi Odenigbo Ready for Potentially Increased Role in 2020

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
avzhhzmrwpi4qesdicfw

EAGAN, Minn. — The Vikings defense underwent some turnover this offseason, and there could be as many as five new starters on that side of the ball.

That means a chance for others to step up in bigger roles, with Ifeadi Odenigbo near the top of that list.

With Everson Griffen voiding his contract and remaining unsigned as a free agent, the Vikings need to fill the starting spot at defensive end opposite Danielle Hunter.

If the roster stands as is, will Odenigbo be ready for the challenge of an increased role, and increased playing time?

"I'm taking that approach. Obviously, we have Danielle Hunter, who is just a freak, so I'm working hard," Odenigbo said. "We all know that Danielle is an established vet. I don't need much motivation because I see that guy go out, bust his butt every single day, never complains. Even when I'm working out, I'm thinking, 'What's Danielle doing now? Danielle is probably doing some crazy stuff and being low-key, incognito.' It's good to have guys like him, but I don't want to be a drop-off.

"We're kind of in this limbo land, so I'm working hard, training, but I'm also trying to find the right time to peak. There's no point in peaking in June right now when we're playing in August," Odenigbo added. "I've been taking it one step at a time, working on the fundamentals, details and stuff like that. If we don't have OTAs, then in the July area, that's when I'll really start upping the conditioning because I've got to get used to playing 40, 50, 60 snaps."