Immersive Experience with FDNY Gives Harrison Smith Unique Perspective

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
uzfj1ouejh8tc6b6csu2

When Harrison Smith stepped into the burning building, the lack of visibility caught him off guard.

He carefully maneuvered his way through different rooms, sticking close to the rest of his team as smoke billowed all around the group.

But fortunately, Smith was not in a real emergency situation. Rather, the Vikings safety was participating in the 3rd Annual Firefighters Challenge, hosted by actor and producer Denis Leary.

“It was a controlled setting, and we knew that everything was going to be fine,” Smith said. “The firefighters were there with us the whole way, but it was a little insight into their daily lives.”

The all-day event took place in New York City earlier this month and raised money for The Leary Firefighters Foundation.

Smith joined his cousin, actress Elaine Hendrix – perhaps best-known for her portrayal of Meredith Blake in the 1998 rendition of The Parent Trap – at the event. Hendrix is a close friend of Leary’s and consistently supports the foundation, which Leary created in 2000 after six firefighters – including a cousin and a high school classmate – were killed while combatting a warehouse fire in Massachusetts.

Leary, who created and starred in the critically acclaimed series Rescue Me (2004-11), continues to be moved not only by the widespread support for his foundation but by its impact within New York City and beyond.

“Seeing actor friends of mine who used to be firefighters – like Steve Buscemi, who was a member of FDNY Engine Company 55, or Bobby Burke, who’s still an active firefighter part time – come out every year and spend the day helping us raise money always humbles me,” Leary told Vikings.com. “And then once we actually buy and deliver the new vehicles or tools or boats to fire departments around the country – or help to build new training facilities – that makes it all worthwhile.

“And it all makes a difference in each city and town we are able to help,” Leary added. “It all saves lives on some level – the lives of firefighters and the lives of the people they rescue.”

Hendrix initially was motivated to support the foundation by her friendship with Leary. Now, however, she shares a passion for the cause.

“When you get in and really learn how much firefighters do and what they do and what they have to learn, when you gain that much of an appreciation, you can’t help but become passionate about it,” Hendrix told Vikings.com. “Now I always tell Denis, ‘Whatever you need me to do, I’m there.’

“I can’t not help. I love it,” Hendrix added.

A family affair

Hendrix called it a “no-brainer” to include Smith, saying the two grew up in a close-knit family that emphasized making a difference.

“Our mothers were sisters. My mom passed away about a year and a half ago, and my mom and Harry were also really close,” Hendrix said. “We were just raised that way. We were raised, you help. That’s just what you do.

“I knew Harry would be into it,” Hendrix later added. “The fact that we do have an elevated platform – it’s interesting because Harry and I haven’t ever exactly talked about it in these terms, but I would venture to guess he would agree with me – we come from a background where there’s a certain sense of responsibility with that. ‘Do something with that elevated platform. Don’t just waste it away.’ So this was our chance to do something positive … and we got to do it together. It was incredible.”

Having had a schedule conflict in 2018, Smith was grateful for the opportunity to participate in this year’s fundraiser. Other attendees included fellow celebrity guest and Food Network star Rachael Ray, former NFL center Nick Mangold, as well as members of the Army and corporate groups.