Inability to get off the field haunts Panthers against Packers

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
hpc8v4ijshp7cq8hrv4f

“I got a pre-snap read, so I knew I was going to jump the gap. Seeing a lot of things, playing a long time, I saw a little tip. That’s why I jumped the count,” McCoy said.

It kept the score at 14-10 and it provided a huge boost for Carolina as they entered the locker room.

But the McCoy penalty still loomed large. It took away a possession for the Panthers offense – one that more than likely would have started with strong field position.

“Well, it gave them an opportunity to continue the drive,” head coach Ron Rivera said. “We were able to stop them and keep them from scoring, but we could have had them punt and gotten good field position. Ifs and whats, candy and nuts. So, it’s disappointing.”

That said, the second half started just as Rivera could have hoped. Vernon Butler recorded the first sack of the day on the first play and Green Bay was called for an illegal hands to the face penalty on the next snap.

That created second-and-26, and it was McCoy who was again involved.

“That one really frustrated me,” McCoy said. “Had I not fell there it would have been a completely different result on that play.”

McCoy won off the line and was bearing down on Rodgers until he slipped and fell on the slick surface. That gave the All-Pro quarterback time to survey the field and locate wideout Davante Adams, who had created separation against Jackson.